Members of the Assumption Choir and Band enjoyed a trip to Kansas City at the end of March. The band had a clinic at Kansas City Community College, the choir had a clinic with renowned choral conductor, Charles Bruffy, and the choir sang for Mass at the Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception. The students also visited the National WWI Museum, the American Jazz Museum, and enjoyed performances by the Kansas City Symphony and Chorus, as well as, the Manhattan Transfer and Take 6.
Who: For Students entering Grades 6-8 (Fall 2018) Where: Assumption High School Band Room When: June 11-14, 8 a.m. to 12 p.m. Concert: June 14 at 6:30 p.m. Download: 2018 Band Camp Cost:$20 (make checks payable to: Assumption HS)
– add $20 for lunch (see 2018 Band Camp)
– deduct $10 if attending Choir Camp Deadline: June 1, 2018
• 8:00-9:30 Full Band Rehearsal – Fundamentals/Band Music
• 9:30-10:15 Snack Break and Games
• 10:15-11:00 Sectional Time/Group Lessons
• 11:00-12:00 Full Band Rehearsal incorporating Sectional Time/Group Lessons
• All campers receive an Assumption Band Water Bottle and daily snack.
• A public concert for friends and family in Assumption’s Sunderbruch Auditorium will be held on Thursday, June 14 at 6:30 p.m.
Contact: Band Director Erin Mahr at email@example.com Download: 2018 Band Camp
The band, under the direction of Mrs. Erin Mahr, held its final concert of the year on May 16 and awards were presented to four seniors. The John Philip Sousa Award was presented to Mary Jacobsen, while the Louis Armstrong Jazz Award was given to Emma Gradin, and the Semper Fidelis Award went to Emma Baldwin. The Band nominee for the Fine Arts Hall of Fame was Jonathan Underwood.
The choir, led by Mr. Trevor Loes, held its final concert on May 10 at St. Anthony’s in Davenport. The concert featured pieces learned throughout the year and awards were presented to three seniors. Emily Lemons was awarded the U.S. Navy Choral Award, while McLean Casey was honored with the National Choral Award, and Brad Heinrichs was presented the Iowa Choral Directors Association Award. Heinrichs was also named the Fine Arts Wall of Fame selection for 2017.