Assumption has partnered with Publishing Concepts [PCI] to produce a directory of our nearly 12,000 alumni (last directory was published 1999). PCI will be contacting alums via mail, phone and email. Please take a few minutes to provide your updated contact information Thank you!
Wednesday, August 22, 2018, at Emeis Golf Course
This event honors Father Ken Martin, an avid golfer and special friend. Upon his death, he left $1,000 for his golfing buddies to have an outing, and they decided to honor “Father Kenny” by creating this annual event.
Through the years this outing has raised over $300,000 to benefit Scott County K-12 Catholic school students through emergency scholarship grants. Your donation will help children to continue their Catholic school education in spite of their family’s current financial crisis.
Please join us for this charity event! Reservations for golf and dinner, or dinner only, are available.
GOLF RESERVATIONS include golf, cart, prizes, refreshments on the course, and dinner at the Knights of Columbus.
FOR SPONSORSHIP INFORMATION contact Andy Craig at email@example.com or 563-326-5313 Ext. 225.
The June 2018 Assumption Newsletter is out! Graduation, Boys and Girls State Soccer recaps, Fine Arts news and tons of Alumni Notes.
(Checks payable to: AHS Booster Club and mail to: Jim Toohey, 1731 Cindy Ct. Bettendorf, IA 52722)
What: 2018 Assumption Booster Club Golf Outing
When: Friday, August 3, at 1 p.m.
Where: Emeis Golf Course, Davenport
Cost: $95 per golfer, includes:
- 4 Person Scramble
- Beverage Tickets
- Hole-In-One Prizes
- Hole Pin Events
- Tee Gifts and Prizes
- Steak Dinner at Rookies
The 2018 Assumption Booster Club Golf Outing is dedicated to the memory of Monsignor James F. Parizek. Father Jim, as he was known, was ordained to the priesthood by Bishop O’Keefe in 1972 and his first assignment was Associate Pastor at St. Paul the Apostle in Davenport. He also served many years as Pastor of Our Lady of Victory (OLV) Parish in Davenport until his retirement in 2016. Father Jim received the title Monsignor in 1989. He was a staunch supporter of Catholic education throughout his ministry and had a special fondness for working with the hearing impaired community so that they, too, could hear the word of God. Throughout his ministry Father Jim provided outstanding leadership and pastoral care to parishes in the Davenport diocese, and often remarked how his last assignment as Pastor of OLV was the highlight of his ministry.
Over the years, Assumption High School has had one of the most successful athletic programs in the state of Iowa. The Booster Club supports AHS athletics with not only uniforms and equipment, but they also co-sponsor (along with the Century Club) sendoff events to cover the costs associated with sending teams and individuals to their respective state tournaments. The annual golf outing is one of the Booster Club’s major fundraisers and your participation will help the Booster Club continue to provide the much needed support to AHS athletics.
If you have any questions, please contact Jim Toohey at (563) 639-3454 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
The Class of 1968 has plans for a 50th Class Reunion on October 5-6, 2018.
Friday’s event will start at 5 p.m. at the Armored Gardens in downtown Davenport.
Saturday’s event will include dinner, program and music in the Evergreen Room at Tanglewood Hills in Bettendorf. Reservations will be required.
Invitation will be mailed in early July.
Please check Facebook “Class of 1968 Assumption Graduates” for more information.
Contact: Katie Tritt at email@example.com
Join us Sunday, January 28, 2018, in the Assumption High School Cafeteria 4 – 7 p.m. for the annual Senior Spaghetti Supper! Your attendance and support are greatly appreciated. This event is our special gift to the Assumption Community.
The meal includes salad, spaghetti, bread, drink, and dessert. Meals are complimentary, and Rev. Louis Colonnese’s sauce recipe (used at the first AHS Spaghetti Supper in 1960) is the secret! Take-out orders will be packaged upon request. Please help the Assumption Class of 2018 in this service effort. The class is attempting to raise funds to give a gift back to the school upon graduation. Donations will be accepted at the door.
Please make plans to join us on Friday, December 22, 2017, for the 2017 Assumption Wall of Fame Night where we will honor last year’s State Championship teams, including:
• 2017 Baseball Class 3A State Champions
• 2017 Softball Class 3A State Champions
• 2017 Girls Soccer Class 1A State Champions
• 2017 Girls Track & Field Class 3A State Champions
• 2017 Pom Class IX State Champions
• 2016 Boys Golf MAC Champions
The teams will be recognized during halftime of the boys varsity basketball game on Dec. 22 (approximately 8:30 p.m.) All team members are invited to join their teammates and coaches for recognition of their state championship, and induction of the team into the Assumption Wall of Fame!
2017 Wall of Fame Night Schedule
5:30 – Prior to the Varsity girls game vs. Clinton and following the sophomore game in the large gym, Assumption will recognize All-State Academic Athletes, Cheer, Dance and Fine Arts inductees.
7:30 – Prior to the start of the Varsity Boys Basketball game and following the girls varsity game, Assumption will recognize individual All-State Athletes.
8:30 – At halftime of the Varsity Boys Basketball game, Assumption will recognize 2017 State Championship teams
• Billy Argo ’83 won his 500th game as Head Baseball Coach at Assumption in the Knights’ 9-5 win over Xavier (Cedar Rapids) on July 11. Argo was also named 2017 Mississippi Athletic Conference Coach of the Year.
• Jennifer Janeczko ’89 Jacobs, the Des Moines Register‘s chief politics reporter for the 2012 and 2016 Iowa caucus cycles, will be the guest speaker at the Celebrating a Free Press and Open Government Banquet, to be held Oct. 5 at the downtown Marriott in Des Moines. Jacobs left the Register in March 2016 to cover Donald Trump’s presidency for Bloomberg News. Read more
• Ryan Langford ’11 signed a free agent contract with the Arizona Cardinals of the National Football League (NFL). The Cardinals later cut him after rosters were reduced prior to Week 1.
• Sydney Lunardi ’13 was Central College’s nominee for the NCAA Woman of the Year Award. The NCAA Woman of the Year program honors the academic achievements, athletics excellence, community service and leadership of graduating female college athletes. A biochemistry major, Lunardi graduated magna cum laude and will attend graduate school at Drake University, where she will pursue an advanced degree in Pharmacy. Read more
• Hailey Schneden ’13, a senior women’s basketball player at the University of Iowa, was named to the 2017 Big Ten Winter Academic All-Conference Team. She also received the Big Ten Distinguished Scholar award for the third straight year.
• Synclaire Lunardi ’16, a sophomore women’s basketball player at Carthage College, was named to the 2017 College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin (CCIW) Winter Academic All-Conference list.
• Mary Rolf ’16 was named to Rockhurst University Dean’s List for the spring ’17 semester. She was also named 2nd team GLVC all conference for volleyball.
• Robert L. Lawlor ‘45 passed away May 5, 2017.
• Mary Anne Fischer ’66 Gimbel, wife of Dr. Michael Gimbel ’66, and mother of Michael ‘92, Timothy ‘93, Margaret ’95, Edward ‘97, and Katherine ’99, passed away July 1, 2017, after a courageous battle with cancer.
• John P. Sunderbruch, father of John ‘85, Nick ‘96, and Sarah ’98, passed away August 4, 2017.
• Carole Duffy ’60 Gabriel passed away August 15, 2017.
• Melinda Karwath ’97 passed away August 20, 2017.
• Wesley Hunstad ‘66 passed away August 22, 2017.
If there is news that you would like to see appear in the next newsletter, please email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
In recent months, the Assumption Foundation has added several new members, welcoming accomplished Assumption alumni, current/past parents, and members of local parishes.
The collaboration between the experience of seasoned members, and the fresh perspective of new members promises to be invaluable. In the upcoming year , The Foundation will be working on forming committees and participating in the strategic plan for Scott County K12 Catholic Schools.
The Assumption Foundation was founded in 1973 to provide endowed support to Assumption High School. In the year just ended, the foundation contributed $80,419 in support of the AHS General Fund budget.
In 2004, the Foundation trust document was amended to include support of Scott County Catholic grade Schools. (This support is provided through distinctly identified and segregated funds.) In the last 12 years, the Foundation has been essential in subsidizing K-12 tuition assistance, employee benefits, and marketing funds for our collective schools since that time. In 2016, the Foundation began coordination of the Father Ken Martin Golf Outing, which benefits the Scott County K-12 emergency tuition assistance program.